The American Fair Credit Council (AFCC) is the leading national association of debt settlement companies. The AFCC and its members work on behalf of consumers struggling with overwhelming burdens of unsecured debt to settle those debts for less than their full balance.
We Are the Leading Association of Professional Debt Settlement Companies
- We Support Consumer Rights: The AFCC supports consumers struggling with overwhelming unsecured debt problems.
- We Enforce Best Practices: The AFCC defines, promotes, and enforces best practices and high standards for the debt settlement industry.
- We Advocate for Consumer-Centric Policies: The AFCC advocates for strong legislative and regulatory environments that protect consumers and their ability to access quality, effective debt settlement options.
AFCC accredited member companies agree to abide by a strict Code of Conduct and are required to follow stringent regulatory guidelines for operation. In addition, all AFCC members operate on a “No Advance Fee Model” and never charge a fee for services until a consumer’s debt has been successfully negotiated.
In return for their services, AFCC-Certified Consumer Credit Advocates are paid a fee by the consumer (never by the creditor) but ONLY WHEN THE DEBT IS RESOLVED. And to avoid any hint of impropriety, AFCC members never handle, manage, or otherwise control their clients’ funds.
Finally, all AFCC members agree to abide by a strict Code of Conduct, ensuring they operate with the highest level of compliance, transparency and integrity.Read the Code of Conduct
The History of The American Fair Credit Council
The AFCC was formed in April 2011 by a group of industry-leading companies to advance the goal of an industry in full compliance with the regulatory initiatives of the Federal Trade Commission. The AFCC founders realized that the former trade association, The Association of Settlement Companies (TASC), did not fully represent the wave of change that has swept through the industry, and that the American public deserved a clearer, more forward-looking approach to consumer credit advocacy. TASC no longer exists. We are now the American Fair Credit Council (AFCC). We have a new vision and a new mission that focuses on the people we serve. Here are a few more ways in which we are different:
- Advocacy AdvocacyThe American Fair Credit Council is the only Credit Advocacy Association that fights for the rights of consumers, burdened by unmanageable debt, who wish to resolve their obligations through debt settlement.
- Compliance Compliance
All AFCC Members and Accredited Members must adhere to a strict Code of Conduct and agree to abide by all State and Federal laws and regulations relating to debt adjustment and debt settlement services.
- Fairness FairnessWe fight for the fair treatment of consumers by their creditors, and lobby on behalf of the debt settlement industry to ensure debt settlement services are available to consumers at a fair and reasonable rate. Our members only accept a fee for their services AFTER they have successfully resolved a debt.
- Trust Trust
The American Fair Credit Council exists to ensure debt settlement services remain both available and affordable to consumers. Consumers can now choose a debt settlement service provider with confidence, knowing they carry the Seal of Approval from the AFCC.
- Transparency Transparency
Our members agree to adhere to all Federal Trade Commission consumer protection guidelines and agree to be audited for compliance through our anonymous “Secret Shopper” program. By choosing an AFCC member as your debt settlement provider, you can rest assured you are selecting a reputable provider who will never charge a fee until you get results.
- Leadership LeadershipJoin the leading consumer credit advocacy association representing the debt settlement industry and demonstrate your leadership by becoming an AFCC member company today.
Become a Member of the AFCC Today!
Join the American Fair Credit Council today and join a select group of leading consumer credit advocates who are committed to the highest ethical standards of operation in the debt settlement industry. Here are just a few of the benefits you will receive as a member of the AFCC.
- A detailed, searchable company listing on the AFCC Website
- Invitations to the member only workshops
- Discounts to all AFCC hosted conferences
- Monthly member conference calls
- State Law Guide provided by Greenspoon Marder
- Multi-State daily legislative updates
- Rights to use the AFCC Seal on your website and marketing collateral